Monday, January 27, 2025

Vera Wong's Unsolicited Advice For Muderers by Jesse O. Sutanto

"No one can say that Vera is boastful. No, Vera is many things, but boastful is not one of them. And yet, even she has to admit that her first day of investigating has exceeded all expectations ... Truly, even the police would be forced to admit that she’s very nearly solved their case for them. It’s not even time for her afternoon tea yet, and already she has three whole suspects. Superb work, Vera, simply marvelous, she tells herself, as she brews a pot of jujubes and goji berries tea. When the tea is done, Vera settles on her chair with a satisfied sigh and takes out her notebook." - Jesse O. Sutanto

Thank you Tracy at Bitter Tea and Mystery for introducing me to Vera Wong's Unsolicited Advice for Murderers (2023) by Jesse O. Sutanto.  This novel is funny, touching and Vera Wong is such a great character and how thrilled am I that there is now a second book in this really fine new mystery series.  

The setting is present day San Francisco and Vera is a 60 year old widow who owns a tea shop which she has named "Vera Wang’s World-Famous Teahouse" so that she can attract more business.  Her son Tilly is exasperated by this name since if the famous  designer were to find out about this his mother could be sued.  But then again Vera's tea shop, which has seen better days, is in no danger of being discovered until one day Vera who lives above her shop comes downstairs and discovers a dead body.  

Most people would be horrified.  But Vera who lives by herself and has a son who is too busy to visit is lonely.  And so when Vera finds the dead man, Marshall Chen, on the floor of her tea house its exciting and a chance to be useful.  Vera calls the police and prepares a special tea for the occasion.  But the two officers decline the tea and are not amused when they discover that Vera has taken a sharpie and drawn an outline around the dead body as the investigators do on the CSI programs she watches.  

The officers order Vera to stop interfering.  But that's not happening and Vera decides to place an ad in the newspaper in an effort to attract suspects.  Aquaintances of Marshall Chen begin arriving at the tea shop to talk with Vera while sipping the teas she has prepared. 
 
The chapters alternate between Vera's perspective and those of her customer/suspects.  There is Marshall's wife Julia, his twin brother Oliver and Riki and Suna who also have a connection to the deceased. All four have been unnerved by Marshall's death not because they are grieving.  Marshall was a bad guy and each of the suspects has motive.

But it's Vera who makes this book special.  She is such an endearing character who despite her loneliness faces life with determination.  She goes for a walk every morning and then opens her tea shop despite the fact that it is attracting no business.  But even  Vera as the novel begins is wondering what's the point of it all until an exciting purpose enters her life, solving Marshall Chen's murder.

Vera Wong's Unsolicited Advice for Murderers is a real treat.  And I hope this novel is the start of a very long mystery series. 

10 comments:

  1. I've got this on my Kindle and keep meaning to read it. Now, thanks to your review, I know a bit more about it, so will aim to read it soon as it sounds like a lot of fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It definitely is alot of fun and it's a book with heart too and a mystery. Vera is such a great character and the other characters are well drawn and touching as well. They have all got their problems and they form a bond. I highly recommend this novel.

      Delete
  2. Vera sounds like such a quirky and fun character! I look forward to reading this one. I think I'll like it, too. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you will like this book and the second novel in the series is coming out in April. Vera is endearing and a real character!
      And the suspects in this book are also well drawn. I liked them as well.

      Delete
  3. Wow good review Kathy. Vera does sound endearing and I could use a feel-good tale right now. I see that this author is from Jakarta and no wonder there are so many teas perhaps. I will put it on my list. Now I'm curious about Book 2.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Susan, it is definitely a feel good tale and Vera's no nonsense attitude keeps it from being saccharine. Vera is a very endearing character and there are parts of this novel that are very moving.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kathy, thanks for the mention. I agree with your assessment of Vera Wong's Unsolicited Advice For Murderers. I loved how she interfered with the investigation and other people's lives. The second book is coming out in 2025 but I will have to wait a while before I will get a copy. I hope it will be just as good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tracy, that's a good point. Vera not only interferes with the investigation but also with the lives of Juliia, Oliver, Riki and Suna and she has alot of worthwhile advise to give them. I will put my order in for the second book when it comes out through Libby. But it will be wait.

      Delete
  6. I am on the waiting list for this book at my library and am so eager to read it. I loved your review--it sounds terrific. Vera definitely sounds like a heroine that I can relate to!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Jane. It's a book worth waiting for. I feel confident recommending it which isn't always the case with other books I have liked. But Vera is a great character.

      Delete